To provide natural foods and products to the Pocatello and surrounding community in a manner that is locally and cooperatively owned and controlled, provides a hub for community involvement, and reflects member values.
- Provide natural, organic, fair trade, and sustainable foods and products,
- Bring together local producers and consumers,
- Provide education, through various formats, about healthy choices for personal and ecological health,
- Educate about cooperatives and provide support for other cooperatives,
- Support community projects and businesses that improve the personal and ecological health of the community.
A group of dedicated volunteers have been working on this food cooperative since fall, 2005. By August 2007 the Pocatello Co-op became a reality. The Pocatello Co-op sells local, organic, bulk, ethnic and other natural goods and health care products. The Pocatello Co-op is building its foundation based on collective planning and decision making, community education, and collaborative implementation of a natural food market, conceived in the spirit of earth friendliness.
What is a Food Co-op?
A co-op is a group of independent persons united together voluntarily to meet common economic, social, and cultural needs through a jointly owned, democratically controlled enterprise. Co-ops are based on the value of self-help, responsibility, democracy, equality and solidarity. In the tradition of their founders, cooperative members believe in being ethical, and open. Ultimate goals include social consciousness and genuine compassion for others.
Benefits of a Co-op
- Supports local growers
- Fresher products
- Striving for higher quality
- Community development
- Lower prices on special orders
Articles of Incorporation